Every year the new “it” workouts take the nation by storm. Some are so “different” that they just don’t interest me, like naked yoga-Ya, not gunna happen here!
I was curious as to what was making the rounds in 2018. Some of these predictions rolled out back in January, when most people are thinking about those dreaded resolutions. But it’s April now, and most have fallen by the wayside already. Which trends and workouts are popular now?
I am excited about where the industry is headed, some really great trends are happening. I took a look at a few more lists, just like my H is for healthy habits post, I tried to breakdown those trends that appeared more than just a few times.
Here we go!
- Functional training. This sounds odd but makes perfect sense. These exercises are centered around the movements that our body performs in our daily lives. Think gardening, grocery shopping and running kids all over town. Your body needs to bend, lunge, squat, push, pull, twist and walk. These motions specifically involve all your core muscles. How many times have you heard “lift with your legs, not you back”? Strengthening these muscles will help prevent injuries as you go about your daily activities. The goal with this training is to perform relatively easy movements with a strong emphasis on having the correct form.
2. Boxing and kickboxing workouts will increase in popularity. I can say this one works for me! I love my kickboxing class. I work every muscle and get an amazing cardio workout all in 60 minutes. There is a reason boxers are in such amazing shape!😉 It also fits well with the next trend.
3. Team coaching and group classes will increase. There will still be one-on-one training available, of course. However, there has been a greater demand for small group work. Many people prefer a strong social component to their exercise programs, not to mention the personal training cost is lower for more participants. Group sizes are often capped at 8 to 10 which provides plenty of interaction with the trainer. And, team coaching often includes nutritional advice, which most people need in addition to exercise information.
4. At home workout options will expand. I know I subscribed to Beach Body on Demand, because there are days when I only have 30 minutes or an hour, and it’s really convenient to be able to turn on my computer, and fit in a good sweat session. Additionally , online coaching works extremely well in this setting. A quick email or text to a coach with a question or two, and you have your answers in real time!
5. Mindfulness will be incorporated into all types of workouts, not just yoga! 🧘♀️ Taking a moment, at the beginning or end (or both) of a workout to still the mind, and slow your heart rate, are great ways to incorporate biofeedback.
Of course, there are more than just 5 trends right now. The links below provide information about training with 3D technology, Cryogenics for muscle recovery and low intensity training, which is a great alternative to HIIT, and using exercise to enhance cognitive functioning as we age.
I do hope you find this helpful and informative! I have to go workout now! 🏋🏻♀️😊